Thursday, September 9, 2010

Listening is a Discipline

Do you know the difference between a wise man and a know-it-all? They know the same amount. The difference is that a wise man waits until he is asked to share what he knows.

"A truly wise person uses few words; a person with understanding is even-tempered."
Proverbs 17:27 NLT

"Watch your tongue and keep your mouth shut, and you will stay out of trouble."
Proverbs 21:23 NLT

This is certainly something I have struggled with over my life. I'm sure more than once I have been called a know-it-all.

More recently I have come to learn and actually put into practice listening twice as much as I speak. It is not easy at first, because many times I felt like I just really know how to "fix" that person's problem.

I'm grateful for learning that it is not my job to "fix" others...that is God's job. Do you know how much weight that takes off a recovering control-freak's shoulders??!!

So today I'm grateful for the discipline of listening twice as much as talking...as the old saying goes...that is why God gave us TWO ears and only ONE mouth.

0 comments: