Thursday, November 19, 2009

It's All about Choices

During this time of year, it is extremely easy to become discontent and ungrateful...I mean, every stinkin' commercial on TV is showing us something that we "need" and at a great discounted price!

However, we can make two choices today...

1) We can choose Contentment - In Philippians 4:11-13, Paul shows us the secret of being content..."I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength". How is that the secret to contentment? Because at this moment Christ has given me everything I need to live out the purpose He has for me...for right now. Everyday He gives me strength for that day. That is the secret to being content. Will you choose today to rest in that promise?

2) We can choose Gratitude - Proverbs 15:15-16 "For the despondent, every day brings trouble; for the happy heart, life is a continual feast. Better to have little, with fear for the Lord, than to have great treasure and inner turmoil."
Do you know what the #1 most visited house is in the United States…the White House…the second? Graceland…Elvis’ house. On the outside Elvis had everything…money, materials, fame, but at age 42 he killed himself with by overdosing. He has been quoted saying “I would give 1 Million dollars for ONE day’s peace." That is a heavy statement.
We can choose to be grateful...to God, for others, for our spiritual journey, our church, etc.

When we fall into discontentment and un-gratitude, it is like telling God, "After all you have done for me I could care less, because it is not enough for me."

Let's start today by making good choices; to be content and grateful.

4 comments:

Billie said...

Amen! And let's go past even just being content with what the Lord has done for us and go straight into downright JOYFUL!

Alison said...

Absolutley!

SM Booster Club said...

great post!! I've been thinking about that exactly, lately. I think about wondering if we will ever own the "dream house" that i think I would just love, then I realize I need to be thankful that we have a roof over our heads, we are healthy and happy! And like my mom always says, we aren't taking any of it with us when we leave this earth!

laura said...

oh, the above post is from me, Laura, even though it says Shawn...oops!