Wednesday, March 25, 2009

All Comes Full Circle

The other day I picked up the Michael English book "The Prodigal Comes Home - My Story of Failure and God's Redemption". I have read it before, but his testimony of how God works in his life is so good...I thought I'd read it again. Back in the early 90's he was one of my FAVORITE singers. He sang with the Gaither Vocal Band and then did a couple of solo albums upon Bill Gaither's prompting.

Most people know he had an extra-marital affair and that cost him his Christian music career and Dove Awards. In this book he tells of his continual focus on the world and not on God. He became addicted to pain killers. In 1997, I remember he was trying to come back on the Christian Music scene and my sister-in-law took me and my neice to a concert of his in Sherwood. Little did I know at the time he was still struggling in the bonds of addiction.

Anyway...his book and CD called "The Prodigal Comes Home" tell of God's Redeeming power in Michael's life.

I checked out his website because last spring he was in concert with Avalon and came to Conway, but I was not able to go. I just wanted to see if he would be around here anytime soon...and lo and behold...guess what??? In January he became part of the Gaither Vocal Band again!!! He, Mark Lowery and David Phelps join Bill Gaither and Wes Hampton to form a quintet! Oh...I can't wait to hear all those voices sing together.

I just think his story is amazing...so glad to see what Christ has done in Michael English's life!

3 comments:

The Timberframer's Wife said...

He was one of my favorite years ago, too, so I'm glad to hear this!

Joanna said...

Oh! Do you know if they've released any songs together? Did Guy retire? I was sad when David Phelps went solo.

I'm letting my southern gospel show. :)

Alison said...

I believe Guy Penrod retired. Not sure if/when an album is going to be out with all 5 of them singing.

Girl...I grew up Southern Gospel...I still love to listen to it every once in a while!