Wednesday, April 29, 2009

American Idol - Top 5 - Music of the Rat Pack Era

This is probably the best top 5 left on American Idol. Each year it seems like there is one person who just doesn't fit but not this year. They are all so very good, each with their own unique sound. I was wondering what mentor they would have this week...Jamie Foxx! He is the best mentor they have had and it relevant.

On to the Idols:

Kris - "Just the Way You Look Tonight" - Ok...Jamie Foxx loves you and what a great comment to make that he and Kris could work something out if AI doesn't pan out! Beautiful vocals. I like the R&B sound he put to this song and he was true to himself. EXCELLENT! Even if he wasn't from my town...he is one of my two favorites!

Allison - "Someone to Watch Over Me" - Oh wow her hair is gorgeous with the deeper read and the black! Also Happy Birthday! She looks beautiful and sang a ballad really really well. She had her distinctive voice yet showed us the softer side of Allison. VERY GOOD JOB!

Matt - "My Funny Valentine" - Oh...he has the hat on again, which means he should do well. WOW! The ending was FANTASTIC...the beginning was too low. I have to say I like his higher range better than the "full voice". Matt's only problem is that he does not appear to have much confidence in himself. Overall, GOOD JOB!

Danny - "Come Rain or Come Shine" - YES! He is back! This is what he needs to be singing. He came into his own tonight! I liked Kara's comment about him getting "the swagger" back...yes he did and with that performance you can tell he sees the end and wants it! EXCELLENT!

Up until this point I had thoroughly enjoyed hearing the true vocals of each finalist. Adam always makes me nervous...these songs are classic...do screw one up.

Adam - "Feeling Good" - I don't know this song. I must agree with Randy...and I have said from the beginning...over the top...too theatrical for my taste. He is always spot on with his vocals so that is not a complement anymore. And of course he did the tongue thing again which I think is reserved for Steven Tyler. The one thing I hate for him is that he seems like he is going to win this and he really doesn't need to. He will have to conform to what AI wants. It will do him better to get 2nd place.

My last note that I wrote last night was "This is the NIGHT OF THE VOCALS!" I think this theme was a great choice, with a great mentor, and a great time in the competition to have a night where the finalist really have to sing and show their vocals.

Click over to BooMama and get her take on American Idol. Also she has a Mr. Linky for all the other AI fans to leave their blog post reviews!

4 comments:

Billie said...

Woo hoo! I agree...Danny Gokey was my FAV 'o the night! Last night was why I originally fell in love with him. and even though, yes, Adam could have a thirving career on Broadway with that performance...I still loved him. He has totally grown on me simply for the fact that he is SO spot on with every single note! Man! But still...Danny rocked!

Like I said this morning, though...they have totally set Adam up.

Andrea said...

Has anyone else noticed that it seems Adam and Danny are always last to sing...or close to last? Hmmmm maybe so everyone will remember them and vote for them? Seems from the beginning that it's been set up to be an Adam/Danny show down. I big heart Adam...i didn't at first, but I just cant help myself. He can freakin sing...and really does seem humble. I'm ok with Danny, but I'm really kinda over him. They blew him up from the beginning so it's obvious they want him to win. LOVED LOVED LOVED Allison and I too like her hair!! I kinda zoned out on Matt...he bores me. And of course I liked Kris...I'd like him even if I didn't hang out with his best friend Saturday! (woohoo!!) :)

Billie said...

That's what I meant by "Set up" sistah! They wanted the others to go first and then attempt to wow us with Danny/Adam

Kritter Krit said...

I agree with you on the Adam stick-out-the-tongue-and-scream trick. Granted, he has AMAZING control in that range. But he's done it a million times and I'm over it. He needs to wrap that baby up and hand it back nicely to Steven Tyler. Seriously, I would love to hear the dude just SING again - with all of his range and mad skilz - just keep his tongue where it belongs.

That said. Here’s my two (totally worthless) cents on the matter…

I think AI is rigged. Well, maybe not “rigged” exactly, but I definitely think Simon has an agenda. One he pushes - heavily. I mean, he’ll say something negative about a performance (even if it was flawless - even if I think HE THINKS it was flawless) just to try to sway the voters. Take Allison for example. She was pretty darn close to perfection last night. Looked great, sounded amazing. Strong, pure power in her voice. What’s to complain about? Enter Simon, who claims she “doesn’t care about winning”. Ha! I think the man fancies himself a Puppeteer. Ooo ah ah… Pull the strings and watch America dance to my commands.

It really irks me sometimes.

Hmm. Perhaps I’m a tad too emotionally invested in this stinkin’ show. Whoops.